Something from your past is acting like the steering wheel in your life. It shows up in how you think and feel about yourself and how you relate with others.
It’s as if every so often a memory creeps in and acts as a backseat driver causing you to go around in circles.
You’ve worked really hard to feel good about yourself and where your life is headed. To be able to face the world without doubting or criticizing yourself. Every day you feel like you’re getting closer to shaping the experiences and relationships you want to have. But every so often as you look in the mirror, drop the kids off at school, or kiss your spouse a memory catches you off guard. You struggle to remain composed and catch your breath.
Suddenly, you’re right back in a place of second-guessing yourself, scrutinizing your actions, and doubting your worth.
You’ve been putting in the effort and you’re making progress on your own, but you’ve never fully been able to put your past experiences out of your mind. Most of the time you’re able to fake your way through, but you’re starting to wonder if one of these times you’re going to get caught up in the memories.
When You Seek EMDR Counseling with Urban Wellness
- You will understand the effects that trauma has on the brain and gain insight into the ways your circumstances have impacted you
- You will remove the mental blocks that stem from your disturbing events and start to feel, think, and experience life in a normal way again
- You will unburden yourself from the stress of painful memories
- You will connect with your trauma through eye movements, so you will be able to process events that are difficult to talk about
- You will see the type of results you had hoped to achieve from traditional talk therapy much more quickly
Who Benefits Most from EMDR Therapy?
EMDR is intended for those who are ready to work through their traumatic events. EMDR helps individuals work through the fears, feelings, and root issues that are preventing them from accomplishing daily tasks, caring for themselves, and connecting with loved ones.
You will benefit from EMDR sessions if:
- You are interested in learning the ways trauma has affected your body and brain
- You are ready to work through past events that haven’t been processed correctly so that you can navigate your life without your past in control
- You notice that past situations (whether traumatic or not) are keeping you stuck in a mental state you’d like to move beyond
- Fear, specific anxieties, negative memories, or lack of confidence keeps you from moving forward in life
- You are ready to find a way to regulate your emotions so that you can move forward in a more steady and stable way
There are certain situations where you might not be ready for EMDR Counseling with Urban Wellness These situations include, but are not limited to:
- An untreated mental health concern
- A reluctance or inability to dive deep into traumatic events
- Ongoing substance abuse
If you are currently experiencing a severe mental illness, we recommend you seek outpatient services at a local program like Thresholds. If you are currently experiencing substance abuse or dependence, please see our other specialized service.
More About Urban Wellness
Urban Wellness Helps the Members of Our Community Thrive
Our practice is designed to meet the needs of everyone in our community by offering a variety of counselors with diverse backgrounds and specialties. Our counselors vary in their expertise, working with clients across the lifespan with a wide range of issues and it is our goal to find the therapist that is the right fit for you and your loved ones. We are constantly growing our specialties through education and supervision so that we can continue to help our clients and provide therapy for the whole family.
Therapists at Urban Wellness focus on providing a safe space for you to process and discuss any issues that arise from experiencing trauma. With their help, you can utilize EMDR to learn skills to help you understand and work through your trauma.
What Does EMDR Cost?
EMDR is a fee for service program and Urban Wellness accepts all major forms of payment.
Initial sessions cost $170 and each follow-up session costs $145 and we recommend at least an 8-week commitment.
Urban Wellness accepts insurance and offer in network and out of network benefits. We accept BCBS PPO, Humana, and United Healthcare insurances, at their contracted rates. For your convenience, we will do a benefit check on your behalf and notify you of our in network or out of network benefits. Copays, deductibles or any out of pocket costs are due at the time of service.
Your Next Steps
It is possible to feel safe, connected to others, and in control of your life. You can learn to anticipate things, people, and events that might trigger you and develop the skills to cope with them.
You might feel like a life beyond your trauma is a long way away, but that doesn’t mean you can’t learn to acknowledge what has happened, so you can begin to rebuild your life.
In reality, processing your memories with a therapist will help you cultivate the resilience you are seeking. Urban Wellness can help.