Domestic Violence 101: Awareness, Advocacy and Understanding
Presented by: Melissa Barrios, LCSW, ICDVP (2 hours)Did you know?
- An average of 24 people per minute are victims of rape, physical violence or stalking by an intimate partner in the United States — more than 12 million women and men over the course of a single year.
- Nearly 3 in 10 women (29%) and 1 in 10 men (10%) in the US have experienced rape, physical violence, and/or stalking by a partner and reported it having a related impact on their functioning.
- 1 in 4 women (24.3%) and 1 in 7 men (13.8%) aged 18 and older in the US have been the victim of severe physical violence by an intimate partner in their lifetime.
- Intimate partner violence alone affects more than 12 million people every year.
- Identify various types of DV;
- Describe DV dynamics;
- Describe Impacts of DV within the following populations: Immigrant, LGBTQIA+, Older Adult,
- People with disabilities, and Teen population;
- Identify Cycle of Abuse;
- Complete Risk Assessment/ Safety Planning;
- Identify resources available;
- Describe psycho-education tools to use with clients.
Urban Wellness, Ltd. has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 7025. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Urban Wellness, Ltd. is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.