GET TO KNOW your therapist
Shannon Degnan, LSW
“Fear is excitement without the breath”
Insurances I Accept:
- BCBS PPO
Ages I work with:
- 12-64 years old
Languages I speak:
She will be starting May 1st.
Who Am I?
I love working with:
individuals struggling to accept their body or struggling to have a healthy relationship with food and exercise, people who find they need to escape daily life with substances or other compulsive behaviors (gambling, shopping, overeating, food restriction, sex, porn, skin-picking, self-harm) and those who desire closeness in a relationship but isolate or have anxiety being known or relating with others. I love helping people cultivate a balanced approach to dating and would serve those who have a hard time being single or see a partner as the solution. And just generally, I love helping people know themselves in a more meaningful way; I want to help you find your authenticity and have an easier time navigating your emotional triggers and behavioral patterns.
Some of my favorite approaches include:
HOW I HELP
I invite my clients to adopt a curious mindset about their internal world and to drop the shame and judgment that can pop up when investigating thoughts/beliefs/emotions/behavioral patterns. I help clients accept where they are at and have compassion for themselves, as I see this as the first step to any change. I don’t think we can shame ourselves into change. I help my clients reach for support while cultivating their own voice, and especially encourage listening to the body when making choices.
- I believe in the pause. And sitting with temporary discomfort until it passes or one can make a decision from a grounded place.
- I believe that you are always working to know yourself better and that it is the most important thing one can do in life
- I believe therapy works best as a collaborative process between client and therapist to support the client’s own sense of agency
- I believe change is possible with support. I believe it’s common to underestimate how much support we need and believe in the extraordinary feats we can accomplish when we reach for more support than we think we need or perhaps deserve.
- I believe acquainting oneself with the body is part of mental health, and that feeling states in the body precipitate reaching for destructive behaviors.
What it’s like in a session with me
More about me
SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT
Schedule your first appointment. For follow up appointments (existing clients), please contact your therapist at 773-774-4444.