GET TO KNOW your therapist
Christine Sheppard, LCPC
“Find what you’re afraid of most and go live there” – Chuck Palahniuk
Insurances I Accept:
- BCBS PPO
- Optum/United Healthcare
Ages I work with:
- Ages 5 and Up
Languages I speak:
Who Am I?
I love working with:
- People who are questioning their place in the world
- Those who are wondering about their gender and sexuality
- Those wanting to reduce emotional pain, we can dig into internal work; if your own behaviors and responses are causing trouble, we can practice coping skills that are transformative.
- When it seems hard to locate a sense of self, we can uncover values and goals you may have lost touch with.
Some of my favorite approaches include:
Person-centered because you are the expert about your life! A narrative stance can help you focus on your strengths and write a different story; DBT can give you important tools for living, like how to be mindful or how to work toward what you want in a relationship (with respect). Communication skills are critical for relationships. I’m a huge fan of teaching and rehearsing non-violent communication. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) can get you started on the amazing healing powers of radical acceptance. CBT and DBT are my go-to sources for coping skills.
HOW I HELP
- I believe in meeting you where you are and respecting ALL your choices
- I believe that change is possible and may already be happening
- I believe “aha” moments can happen at any time
What it’s like in a session with me
In our first session, we’ll talk about what’s up with you, how you’re coping in the world, what’s going well and what’s giving you trouble. It can be hard to open up, so I give you lots of space, urge you to take your time and feel comfortable. Here’s a link to some videos I curated to give you a sense of what therapy is like:
As a mom of three grown kids, I’m a pro at the patience and compassion that children require; I’m excited to get on the floor and play while talking about transitions, feelings, and struggles. My experience with teens is within the challenges of eating disorders and body dysmorphia. Work with adults is often finding ways to grapple with anxiety and depression; I have experience and expertise working with peri- and post-menopausal women.
More about me
SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT
Schedule your first appointment. For follow up appointments (existing clients), please contact your therapist at 773-774-4444.